Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

So you wanna write a nonfiction book...What's the first step?

RESEARCH....RESEARCH...RESEARCH...



This should be your first step. I said this before in an earlier post "Build your name before you publish a book" it's very important to know and understand everything when you're writing nonfiction. Becoming an expert can only add to your credibility. Even if you've worked in the field for a period of time you still should research your subject. 

As suggested in "On Writing Well" you can never know to much. Visit your libraries and find out what they keep on the shelves, buy magazines, books and everything as related to your subject. Make sure you know your competition. See what they're doing and how you can contribute. 

I agree with the suggestions made in this book. I also believe you should use the internet and see what's out there. Become familiar with people who may ultimately read your books and join forums, message groups and anything you can so that you are gaining possible readers or even information to help with your book.  

Interview other experts, seek input and/or ask a family member. You should have someone you can ask how they feel about your idea. Become friends with your librarian, they have research tools and databases available. The more you know the better you'll be able to cover your subject.

10 comments:

  1. Stopping by to say Hi!.

    I'm your newest follower.

    Thank you for join "Follow Me Monday" and share nice blog'

    I just post about cooking Thai omelet. Look what is my secret for cook omelet.

    http://beonefineday.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-make-thai-omelet.html

    Have a nice day.

    Nan
    PS. From; Follow Me Monday and Meet Me on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Love your blog! I am following your blog and would love it if you could follow mine!

    Thanks

    Melissa
    http://momsreview4you.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There,
    Stopping by to follow you back from FMBT. Thanks for joining us. Have a great week
    -Staycee
    www.sjunkie.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving your blog. I have recently decided that I want to write a book, so I am looking forward to your posts to get some tips and advice :)

    Newest follower here http://thelifeofatiredmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi..I’m Barb…from TTA.. I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will take a peek and follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mica! I've been following you but I wanted to stop by and say thanks for your great posts. I'm starting a book "outline" right now and will need all the advice/help I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There was a great non-fiction panel at SCBWI and for the first time I seriously considered whether I might write NF in the future (not now, I'm too in love with fiction). Thanks for the great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You have seven kids and wished for twelve, can't get past that *LOL*.

    Anyway, very nice blog you have here with interesting and well written posts!

    Keep going strong!

    /Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. I truly hate I've not figured out how to get a reply option to personalize my comments to each one of you but I really appreciate you following and liking what I post.

    Susan I love to write fiction too! It's actually my favorite.

    Kim thanks and if you ever need a specialized post let me know, I can help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mica, you gave some information in your blog post. (FYI, I'm a fellow author.

    Can you help me, please? Your fans love acronyms! What's FMBT and TTA?

    By the way, I heard about you from BFF -- don't worry I won't puzzle others with this acronym! (For those of you in the dark, I'm talking about The Blog Frog.)

    Also, is it allowable here for me to share the URL of my blog, which helps aspiring and previously published authors? This isn't my main blog, but I started it because people kept asking me how do you write a book and get it published.

    It's http://www.WriteABookBeforeYouDie.com -- also called http://www.HelpForAuthors.com (Hope the title makes you chuckle.)

    Anyhow, look forward to learning more about you and your book.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment for "Truthfully Speaking"